Moated Monastic Grange 300m South West of Winsetts Farm
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
County Council (Unitary)
East Riding of Yorkshire Council
Beverley and Holderness
OV381381 (538062, 418037)
The monument includes a large rectangular moated monastic grange 300 metres south west of Winsetts Farm. The monument measures 190 metres north-south by 100 metres east-west. It survives well on its eastern and southern sides, where the broad U shaped moat ditches survive between 8 metres and 10 metres wide across their tops, 4-5 metres across their bases and 1.25 metres deep. The western moat arm has been modified to form a modern field drain and the western half of the northern arm has been infilled. The remains of a building platform survives towards the centre of the moated island and a fishpond survives as a buried feature in the north west corner of the moat. The moated site formed a grange of Thornton Abbey which was founded as an Augustinian priory in 1139 and elevated to abbey status nine years later.