Manorial Complex Including the Site of Norton Manor House, Chapel, Dovecote, Moat, Fishponds, Field System and Mill, 600m South West of Wentbank House

South Yorkshire

Local Area Google Map
Local Area OS Map

We don't have any photos of this monument yet.

Upload a photo

Tagged With

Medieval
Trackway

Data Source

English Heritage

District Council

Doncaster

County Council (Unitary)

Doncaster

Parish

Norton

Parliamentary Constituency

Doncaster North

Grid Reference

SE544544 (454445, 415939)

WGS84 Coordinates

53.6369, -1.17647

Nearest Postcode

DN6 9BX

The nearest postcode is an aid to location, and does not necessarily reflect the actual address of the monument. Most scheduled monuments are not occupied buildings and have no postal address or postcode of their own. In rural and coastal areas, the nearest geocodable postal address may be several miles away.


Notes

Remains of the medieval manorial complex of Norton. Situated on the south bank of the River Went, north of the medieval nucleated settlement of Norfolk. Norton was first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is recorded as being one league in length and 11 furlongs in breadth. In the Valor Ecclesiasticus of 1535 a chantry chapel is recorded at Norton. It is believed to have been situated at the top of Priory Road or Hall Lane in the area known as Priory Garth. This part of the parish is now known as Norton Priory. A number of title deeds dating to the 17th century document the sale and lease of lands within the manor of Norton. A document dated to 1711 provides a lot of information about the Manor House, known as Norton Hall, and associated holdings. Included in the estate were barns, stables, kilns, a dovecote, orchards, gardens, courtyards and two water corn mills. Norton Hall was demolished in 1756 and its materials used to build a farmhouse. The medieval manor house is understood to lie beneath the present farm buildings. East of Norton Priory Farm are the earthwork remains of a moat. c.150m north west of the moated site are three sub-rectangular fishponds. Centred at SE 54471600 is the site of a medieval building platform measuring 17 metres by 12 metres. In the field centred at SE 54281590 are the earthworks of a medieval building. c.50m west in this field are the slight earthworks and buried remains of a dovecote. The first edition Ordnance Survey map (1854) shows the site of the dovecote, which was still standing at this time. East of the moated site are the earthwork remains of a sunken track which may have led to a crossing point across the river. South of the track are a series of low banks which define a rectangular feature measuring 30 metres by 15 metres and interpreted as the site of a medieval building. Scheduled. Several of these features are visible as earthworks on air photographs.

English Heritage

User-Submitted Notes

We don't have any user-contributed notes about this monument yet. Do you know anything about it that you can tell us? Add your contribution here.


Share |