Scurff Hall Moated Site

North Yorkshire

Local Area Google Map
Local Area OS Map

We don't have any photos of this monument yet.

Upload a photo

Tagged With

Manor House
Medieval

Data Source

English Heritage

County Council

North Yorkshire County Council

District Council

Selby District Council

Parish

Newland

Parliamentary Constituency

Selby and Ainsty

Grid Reference

SE688688 (468753, 426361)

WGS84 Coordinates

53.7289, -0.957771

Nearest Postcode

YO8 8PW

The nearest postcode is an aid to location, and does not necessarily reflect the actual address of the monument. Most scheduled monuments are not occupied buildings and have no postal address or postcode of their own. In rural and coastal areas, the nearest geocodable postal address may be several miles away.


Notes

The buried and earthwork remains of a medieval moated manor house set within a larger moated enclosure. Scruff Hall is located 700 metres south of the River Ouse. The area was assarted (reclaimed from the fen and legally claimed) before 1286 by the del Scruth family. The outer moat is considered to date to this time and to have been part of the original drainage works. By 1365 Scruff was was described as a vill. The inner moat was dated by excavation in the early 1960s to the late 14th to early 15th century. On its island stood a medieval hall which was demolished in the early 18th century when the rear of the present hall was built. Around this time the inner moat was largely filled in. In the mid-19th century the hall was remodelled and enlarged and the south and east sides of the inner moated island were partially landscaped. The inner moated island is about 75 metres east-west and 55 metres north-south and forms a raised platform above the surrounding land surface. The medieval hall is believed to have stood to the east of the present house and in this area a stony surface lies about 30 cm below the current ground level. The western half of the moat ditch is the only area of it that survives as an earthwork. The eastern half was infilled during the 18th century whilst part of the southern arm was modified to form a ha ha in the 19th century. The outer moat originally enclosed an irregular area of nearly 8ha. The moat arms are still visible as earthworks except the northern moat arm which has been infilled. The area between the inner and outer moats is crossed by pronounced, 11 metre wide ridge and furrow running east-west (still extant on 1984 vertical photography) The site is scheduled except for Scruff Hall and the infilled northern arm of the outer moat. Three sides of the inner moat could be seen as distinct depressions on air photographs taken in 1984. The ridge and furrow was recorded from air photographs(SE 72 NW 23).

English Heritage

User-Submitted Notes

We don't have any user-contributed notes about this monument yet. Do you know anything about it that you can tell us? Add your contribution here.


Share |