Icehouse with Associated Iceyard at Great Moreton Hall, 70m East of the Hall
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
County Council (Unitary)
Cheshire East Council
Moreton cum Alcumlow
SJ841841 (384051, 359502)
An icehouse and associated three storey tower located in the outbuildings of Great Moreton Hall (SJ 85 NW 17), together with an associated paved yard in which ice was made. The icehouse and tower are Listed Grade II. The buildings are of local Peak gritstone and were designed as part of the hall, having been built in 1841 by Edward Blore. The icehouse is a cylindrical chamber with a domed roof built of brick. Access was through an octagonal stone tower, with three floors. The tower had a sloping passage in the wall at the left hand side of the doorway, which is now secured by a metal door. The ice chamber is partly under a mound to the rear of the tower and partly under the old ground surface. The tower is now roofless but originally had a roof, internal stairs and three storeys. The ground floor provided access to the icehouse. The upper two floors were either used as a summerhouse or as living quarters for estate staff. To the north of the icehouse is a small stone-walled yard. The yard measures 8 metres by 8 metres and the surrounding walls are 5 metres high. In the north wall, opposite the entrance to the icehouse, there is a stone lined horizontal slit at chest height. The floor of the yard is paved and slopes quite steeply into a drain at the centre. This yard was designed to be flooded in winter to produce ice for the ice house. This was then broken up and passed through the hole in the wall to the entrance of the ice house, a distance of about 6 metres. The yard wall is linked to the tower by a garden wall of which the tower is a decorative corner feature. Scheduled.