Moated Site and Associated Fields, 460m North East of Pickney Bush Farm
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
Kent County Council
Shepway District Council
Folkestone and Hythe
OR064064 (606436, 129714)
An abandoned medieval moated residence and an area of associated small fields, or closes. It is situated towards the centre of Romney Marsh on low-lying, artificially drained land around 2km south east of Newchurch. The moated residence lies within the north western part of the monument and survives in the form of earthworks, below ground building foundations and associated buried remains. The north-south aligned, roughly rectangular moated island measures 125 metres by 45 metres and is surrounded by ditches up to 15 metres wide and 1 metre deep. Projecting from the moat onto the island are three narrow ponds which have been interpreted as fishponds. The associated closes cover the remainder of the monument in an irregular grid pattern and take the form of at least 14 small rectangular fields enclosed by ditches which are now mostly dry. Mathew Poker's map of Romney and Walland Marshes, dating to 1617, depicts a dwelling on the moated island. Later cartagraphic sources indicate that the house had become abandoned and demolished by the mid-17th century. Scheduled.