Moated Site in Whitcliff Deer Park 375m South East of Comeley Farm
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
Gloucestershire County Council
Stroud District Council
Ham and Stone
SJ666666 (366560, 197054)
A medieval moated site and associated fishponds situated in Whitcliff Deer Park. The moat surrounds a square island containing no visible evidence of original structures. The moat itself is flanked to the north-west by an external bank. The southern end of the north-western moat arm has been widened to form a large pond, and a second pond lies immediately north of the moat. The date of construction of the moated site is unknown, but is believed to have been between 1250 and 1350. It may have been a hunting lodge or connected with the management of the deer park, which known to have existed from at least 1270. Scheduled.