Group of round barrows near Eweleaze Barn
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
Early Bronze Age
Dorset County Council
West Dorset District Council
Winterborne St Martin
SJ646646 (364642, 87800)
An Early Bronze Age bowl barrow, excavated in 1903 by Harold St George Gray and C Prideaux. The barrow is listed by Grinsell as Winterborne St Martin 46 and by RCHME as Winterborne St Martin 82. It is part of the Eweleaze Barn barrow group (see SY 68 NW 56 and associated records). At the time of the excavation, the mound was 82 feet in diameter and 12 feet high, surrounded by a ditch 10.5 feet wide. At the point where the excavation trench crossed it, the ditch was 3.5 feet deep. The mound was predominantly of turf with an outer chalk capping. Beneath it, and north of the centre, was a flint cairn (which included over 1000 struck flakes among the nodules). The cairn covered a subrectangular pit containing a crouched male inhumation with a handled bowl, plus 3 child inhumations with a smaller pottery vessel. Nearer the centre of the mound was a ring of stones enclosing an area circa 6.5 feet in diameter. Within the enclosed area was a cremation with the remains of an incense cup and a copper dagger with traces of its wooden sheath still extant. Numerous flints were found in and under the mound, including scrapers and a knife, while a quantity of flakes also came from the ditch section. Beaker and Romano-British sherds were also found. Gray noted in passing that an abortive attempt at digging down into the barrow from its summit had occurred "a few years" previously. In 1980, the Ordnance Survey described the mound as being 27.5 metres in diameter and 3 metres high with a flat top 7.5 metres in diameter. The ditch, circa 6 metres wide, was only visible on the south side. This barrow was originally described as part of SY 68 NW 56. That record should be consulted for additional sources and information.