Roman earthworks on Stoner Hill, Ridge Hanger
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
Hampshire County Council
East Hampshire District Council
SE716716 (471574, 125058)
The nearest postcode is an aid to location, and does not necessarily reflect the actual address of the monument. Most scheduled monuments are not occupied buildings and have no postal address or postcode of their own. In rural and coastal areas, the nearest geocodable postal address may be several miles away.
Earthwork remains of a Romano-British defended settlement.
This site was apparently excavated at least in part by C. E. Stevens and is reported in Roman Britain for 1935.
Parts of it are still visible on Google Earth, where it appears as a square within a square. An article from 1855 (Archaeologia) indicates that a shallow bath 3.5 feet square existed there until dug up and destroyed. Here is a portion of the article
'Some labourers had recently brought to light a place resembling a shallow bath, about 3 ft. 7 in. square, paved with Roman flanged tiles (16 in. by 13 in.), placed with the flanges downwards, and lined with a row of similar tiles. The depth of the cavity, when examined by Mr. Minty, was about 13 inches, the width of a tile, and at the N.W. angle were remains of imbrices, placed to serve as draining tiles on the level of the floor, and apparently communicating with an adjacent fosse. The subsoil is stiff clay, which would retain water for a considerable time. Near the spot where the drain would open into the fosse, now part of a lane, fragments of Saurian and other Roman wares were recently found. On a second visit Mr. Minty found the whole taken up and broken in pieces through wanton mischief; he had, however, secured specimens of the tiles, which are well made, and the flanges cut so that the tiles might dovetail together; a portion of the flange being cut away from the lower as well as the upper end, a mode of adjustment not invariably found in Roman tiles of this kind in England. The camp is of small size, in a strong position, defended by a triple fosse on the N. W. side and a single fosse on the S. E.; it occupies the termination of a range of heights overlooking a valley of considerable extent. On the N. E. side no line of defence is apparent, but Roman tile abounds, with remains of rubble-work, apparently foundations.'
This opens up the intriguing possibility that it might have had a ritual function as the centre of a water based cult.
Peter Price, 8 July 2011
Do you have anything to add to the information we've got so far? Add your contribution here.