Martello tower 'L'
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
Suffolk County Council
Babergh District Council
OR248248 (624830, 233656)
Martello Tower 'L' built 1810-12, situated on the peninsula between the Rivers Stour and Orwell, within the grounds of the privately owned Shotley Gate Police Training Centre. It is constructed from roughcast brick with rusticated stone dressings. It was originally built as a moated tower on high ground overloking the mouth of the River Stour. The moat has now been infilled, as has the tower itself, to first floor level. The roof supports a 20th century water tank and coastguard observation post, both disused by 2007. The tower was built as part of the defensive system to the east and south coasts during the Napoleonic war. Elements of the forward battery survive. Scheduled and Listed.