Pottery kiln S of Whitney Bottom
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
Somerset County Council
South Somerset District Council
SJ323323 (332332, 113636)
Pottery kilns (site 2), part of the Donyatt Pottery Industry , identified on the northeast side of Whitney Bottom. The site was first recorded as a pottery scatter during fieldwalking and subsequently excavated in 1972. The excavations located three possible kilns. No structural remains of the earliest kiln were identified. It was indicated by finds of 14th century pottery wasters in a quartz based firing fabric. Forms included wheel-thrown cooking pots, costrels and jugs. The two other kilns located were much later in date. The earlier of the two was an opposited flued kiln aligned east-west, in production between 1600-50. It produced a range of jugs , cups and dishes. This was partly sealed by the other kiln which also had two flues but aligned north-south and constructed of brick and tile. Production took place between 1650-1750. Later activity on the site comprised a possible 18th century cottage which was extant in 1838. There was also an area of burnt clay possibly representing remains of a 19th century kiln which was reused circa 1920 to burn rubbish.