This site aims to list every scheduled monument in the British Isles. Each monument page includes the geographic location of the monument and, where possible, Google and OS maps of the location. Where available, the official monument description is also shown.
As well as the official data, we also have user-contributed notes and photos. Over time, this is expected to build to a comprehensive user-contributed database of Britian's ancient monuments.
Recent Visitor Contributions
The monument includes the remains of a fishpond of medieval date situated to the north west of the core of the medieval manor of Acklam. The manor was mentioned in the Domesday survey of 1086. In addition to the fishpond, it is known to have comprised a village, a moated [...]
Ken Stanford, 15 January 2016
You've made a mistake on the grid references. The correct grid reference is 10 fig: SN84964151 8: fig SN850415
Mike Haseler (roman-britain.co.uk), 8 January 2016
The ancient cross at Tonacombe is from 250 AD according to old church pamphlet on Morewenstow and was still standing there though Rev Stephen hawker had moved 2 others to near his church for safety.
Judith hellyar, 1 January 2016
Large oblong site of fort double ditch on west side natural fall away to road on east.
, 4 December 2015
A description of this camp is given in James Dyer's Discovering Prehistoric England, Shire publications, 2001, page 133.
jim Maxwell, 24 November 2015
Opened in 1857,Jesse Shirley’s Bone and Flint Mill is the only remaining operational steam driven potters’ mill in the world. It operated commercially until 1972 producing ground bone, flint and Cornish stone used by the pottery industry to produce English porcelain, better known as bone china. It also [...]
Bernard Lovatt, 3 November 2015
C.13th Century seven bay warehouse used by the Benedictine monks of Selby Abbey for trade on the River Ouse. The building's original entrance has two flat French arches, unlike, it is believed, any other medieval building in the U.K. There is also a late 18th/early 19th century counting house attached N.W. end.
Jake Holliday, 3 November 2015
The correct Parish is Beaumont cum Moze, as the site lies to the north of the water course which forms the Parish Boundary with the neighbouring parish of Thorpe-le-Soken to the South.
Peter Cannons, 1 November 2015
The young people at ZFL in Thetford built a new bridge specifically designed for ease of use by wheelchairs and pushchairs.
Sharon Southwell, 22 October 2015
October 2015 This site and the surrounding fields were extensively surveyed using ground radar by a building consortium (Pye Homes/Blenheim Estates that own the land) in readyness for a propsed 1200 housing development. As the land straddled Cherwell District Council and West Oxfordshire District Council responsibilty, the application approval was split [...]
Peter Boon, 18 October 2015
The Tidal mill wall still stands. Its purpose was to trap the incoming tide, allowing the mill to work once it fell enough to provide a fall. The Mill was undershot and stood on the large rock at the southern end. The mill leet is evident (but blocked) while the [...]
Adam R, 14 October 2015
Just off the main track is a plaque on a small stone post at SE 84777 94037 this is about 150 ft in front of the barrow . The plaque says as follows. “These three barrows were built as burial mounds about 3 to 4000 years ago for the [...]
John D Hunter, 7 October 2015