Dovecote at Manor Farm

Nottinghamshire

Local Area Google Map
Local Area OS Map

We don't have any photos of this monument yet.

Upload a photo

Tagged With

Dovecote
Post Medieval

Data Source

English Heritage

County Council

Nottinghamshire County Council

District Council

Rushcliffe Borough Council

Parish

Barton in Fabis

Parliamentary Constituency

Rushcliffe

Grid Reference

SE524524 (452370, 332662)

WGS84 Coordinates

52.8885, -1.22157

Nearest Postcode

NG11 0AA

The nearest postcode is an aid to location, and does not necessarily reflect the actual address of the monument. Most scheduled monuments are not occupied buildings and have no postal address or postcode of their own. In rural and coastal areas, the nearest geocodable postal address may be several miles away.


Notes

The standing remains of Barton in Fabis dovecote, a Grade II Listed Building. The dovecote stands in the yard of Manor Farm, adjacent to a small garden centre. The 17th century dovecote is octagonal in plan and is constructed of red brick with a stone band three quarters of the way up running around its circumference. The roof is conical and tiled with a wood and plain tiled louvre. The louvre would have provided access to the dovecote for birds. The doorway, on the west side, is dressed with large ashlar blocks and is raised with stone steps leading up to it. The internal walls were originally lined with 1200 nest boxes but these only survive on five of the eight walls. The nest boxes, raised on a brick plinth 1 metre from the ground, are unusual in that they are built of gypsum plaster pre-cast locally before being erected in the dovecote. The dovecote was built in 1677 by William Sacheverell, lord of the manor, whose coat of arms survive inside the dovecote on the wall directly opposite the doorway. The building was restored by Nottinghamshire County Council in 1980 and during the work an inscription reading 1677 WS was found on the interior of one of the nesting boxes. Scheduled.

English Heritage

User-Submitted Notes

There is a photo of this on the picture the past site dated 1930

A O Wilkinson, 20 December 2012

Do you have anything to add to the information we've got so far? Add your contribution here.


Share |