Tilehouse Green Moated Site
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
County Council (Unitary)
SE167167 (416671, 276932)
The earthwork remains of a rectangular moated site 90 metres by 50 metres which is orientated north west by south east. The arms of the moat, which are water-filled, are 7 metres to 10 metres wide, being widest at the angles of the moat. The moat encloses a rectangular island which measures 50 metres by 30 metres and is level with the surrounding ground level. There is evidence of a hollow way 2 metres east of the western angle of the moated island. This hollow way gave access to a ford which survives on both banks of the northern arm of the moat; this corresponds with the site of the causeway constructed in the 18th century which was found during limited excavations. The monument forms one of a group of six moats which lay in the territory of the Manor of Longdon, although little is known of its history. The first record of the monument appears to be a reference of 1591 to 'le tilehouse, Tilehouse Grene'. Recent limited excavations in advance of the insertion of modern storm drainage systems found traces of occupation of the site prior to the construction of the moat and determined that the moat was occupied during the 13th and 14th centuries. In the post-medieval period the site appears to have been deserted, although it may have been associated with the tile manufactory referred to in 1591 and with the large clay pit located nearby at the junction of Browns Lane and Tilehouse Green Lane. Scheduled.