Brooklands Motor Racing Circuit, Remains of the Pre-World War II Aerodrome, World War II Bofors Tower and Shelters, and the Brooklands Memorial
We don't have any photos of this monument yet.
Surrey County Council
Elmbridge Borough Council
Runnymede and Weybridge
OV060060 (506022, 161970)
The nearest postcode is an aid to location, and does not necessarily reflect the actual address of the monument. Most scheduled monuments are not occupied buildings and have no postal address or postcode of their own. In rural and coastal areas, the nearest geocodable postal address may be several miles away.
Having worked for Brooklands Museum since 1986 and currently its General Manager - Museum Operations (with responsibility for the Museum's 32 acre site & buildings and collections, I keep the following list updated as much as possible. Please do use the information contained to enhance your websites!
SUMMARY OF 'PROTECTED' BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES AT THE FORMER BROOKLANDS AERODROME & MOTOR CIRCUIT
Apart from the Conservation Area and five Listed buildings, many other historic features at Brooklands are legally protected against demolition or major alteration, largely as part of the Scheduled Monument at Brooklands. The Scheduled Monument was reassessed in 2001 and considerably revised on 10/1/02.
Some of the buildings and structures named below are located at Brooklands Museum, and are now owned by Brooklands Museum Trust Ltd. The former Brooklands Aero Clubhouse is on long term lease to Naston Ltd, and other features of the Aerodrome and Circuit West of the river Wey have been owned by DaimlerChrysler UK since 2004.
A. 'LISTED' BUILDINGS OF SPECIAL ARCHITECTURAL AND/OR HISTORIC INTEREST.
1. AIR MINISTRY ‘BELLMAN’ TYPE AIRCRAFT HANGAR (1940). Built for the Ministry of Aircraft Production/Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd. Used for Wellington production in World War 2 (WW2) and by the post-war aircraft industry until the 1980s. Listed Grade 2 on 04/11/99. Used by Brooklands Museum since 1988 to restore and display a contemporary Vickers Wellington bomber and other aviation exhibits.
2. FORMER ‘BROOKLANDS AUTOMOBILE RACING CLUB’ CLUBHOUSE (1907). Scheduled Monument 1975-2002; progressively restored by Brooklands Museum from 1984 to date. De-scheduled by English Heritage 10/1/02, but Listed Grade 2* by DCMS on 01/11/02.
3. FORMER ‘BROOKLANDS AERO CLUBHOUSE' (1932). Listed Grade 2 on 17/01/79. Restored 1987-88 and used until recently as offices by Naston Ltd.
4. FORMER FLIGHT TICKET OFFICE (1911). Built for Keith Prowse Ltd. Listed Grade 2 since 1975. Relocated to Brooklands Museum site in 1989-90. Also part of the Scheduled Monument from 1975-2002 until de-scheduled on 10/01/02.
5. FORMER MEMBERS' HILL RESTAURANT (1907). Scheduled Monument 1975-2002; re-roofed post WW2 with corrugated asbestos cement sheeting and in poor condition until recent restoration started by the Brooklands Motor Company. Includes linked annexe to rear. De-scheduled by English Heritage 10/01/02, but Listed Grade 2 by DCMS on 01/11/02.
B. SCHEDULED MONUMENT (No. 33961): “Brooklands Motor Circuit, remains of the pre-WW2 Aerodrome, WW2 ‘Bofors’ tower and shelters and the Brooklands Memorial”.
1. Brooklands Motor Circuit - given Scheduled Monument protection on 10/01/02 - all surviving sections of the Outer Circuit including the Members’ Banking, the Railway Straight, the Byfleet Banking (separated into three parts by development), the Byfleet Bridge and the north end of the Finishing Straight.
2. The Campbell Circuit - given Scheduled Monument protection on 10/01/02 - namely the surviving section of the 1937 Campbell Circuit Pits, two lengths of the circuit, ‘Dunlop’s Delight’ (the section from the Banking Bend to Test Hill Hairpin) and the section including ‘Bridge Corner’, ‘Sahara Straight’ and ‘Aerodrome Curve’.
3. The pre-WW2 Brooklands Aerodrome - given Scheduled Monument protection on 10/01/02 - two surviving sections of Aerodrome Road (a 300 metre length east of the river Wey and a 500 metre length following the base of the south east part of the Byfleet Banking), also the ferro-concrete 1931 Aerodrome Road bridge and the two bridges used to move Vickers aeroplanes across the river Wey.
4. The WW2 ‘Bofors’ anti-aircraft tower and shelters on Members’ Hill - given Scheduled Monument protection on 10/01/02 - “an exceptionally rare survival of national importance”.
5. The Brooklands Memorial - given Scheduled Monument protection on 10/01/02 – designed by Ley Colbeck & Partners, built for Vickers-Armstrongs and unveiled by Lord Brabazon of Tara on 06/07/57 to mark the 50th anniversary of Brooklands opening as the World’s first Banked Motor Circuit in 1907. Rebuilt on Museum site 2004-2006 complete with replacement replica bronze lettering and plaques.
C. THE BROOKLANDS CONSERVATION AREA
Designated by Surrey County Council in November 1989, this includes the majority of the original Brooklands Motor Circuit and Aerodrome (see separate SCC plan). At least three other UK airfields have Conservation Area status (Biggin Hill, Hornchurch and Hullavington), but these only have partial protection, whereas Brooklands has its entire area designated.
© Julian Temple,
Ref LISTED BUILDINGS AND SCHEDULED MONUMENT (BROOKLANDS).doc
All rights reserved.
Julian Temple, 18 November 2011
Do you have anything to add to the information we've got so far? Add your contribution here.